Good afternoon everybody. It is always a good day when we have an opportunity as bloggers to ask questions and interact with Governor Huckabee through these wonderful conference calls. What an amazing opportunity! Even though time ran out and I didn’t get to ask a question, it was still a great call.
Joining him on the call today were Bob VanderPlaats, chair of the Huckabee campaign in Iowa; and Jeff Nullmeyer, Pastor of Calvary Chapel in Iowa City.
The following is my typed transcript … it is not complete (I don’t type that fast) and it may contain spelling/grammatical errors which I will try to get back to later and correct. For now, here’s the rough version:
Huckabee blogger conference call – July 11, 2007, 3pm
w/ Pastor Jeff Nullmeyer Calvary Chapel Iowa City
w/Bob VanderPlaats, Chair Huckabee Campaign in Iowa
- Gearing up for the straw poll in Ames on Aug. 11
- Want to thank the bloggers for all their work in getting info all across the country. This is an amazing phenomenon. Very pleased with the impact of the blogosphere …. it’s one of the reasons we are seeing a rise in the polls and an excitement in our campaign. A way to bypass traditional media and their limit to 2 or 3 candidates
- Intro: Jeff Nullmeyer. Wrote the governor a wonderful, encouraging note recently. Was about to not be involved in politics ever again until he heard MH speak in Iowa. Felt he had lost his party and the things that are important to him. He was very encouraged to find he has a voice again in MH. We are at a tipping point in our country. We need good leadership as we deal with other nations and in our country. Our country is shifting in what it values, cares about and stands for … this is very discouraging for me … causes me to get on my knees and pray for our country. Not many candidates are talking about our issues and values … pivotal issues. MH has caused me to want to stand up and support MH. I have 3 boys and I want to make sure when they grow up a marriage is still between a man and a woman.
- Bob Vanderplaats: my assessment it that there is a growing throng/chorus of MH supporters. Gathering of 300 pastors in Iowa … standing ovation and wanting to know what they can do to make this happen. MH is offering HOPE to our country, to our people. MH could not make an appearance last night due to a flight delay, and yet every person at the rally signed up in support of MH even though he wasn’t there. Looking for a very strong finish at the straw poll and to win the caucuses in January.
- MH – I can’t imagine running for president without a website … especially when people have put out inaccurate information … we can quickly get our information out. It has revolutionized politics and political fundraising.
- Has the decline of McCain campaign giving your efforts new breath? yes it has … though I’m not convinced that all his supporters are ready to jump ship, but they can certainly see that we are moving up. MH – I’ve always said it’s better to start at the bottom and move up, then start at the top and slide down.
- Bob – MH talking about LIFE, he does not come off as angry, but as a man of compassion and understanding and comfortable in explaining his beliefs and position.
- Brownback rolled out his 50 christian leaders …. BOB … I have not seen that list yet, so I will be intrigued to see the names on that list. BOB … MH is a comprehensive candidate and proven leader.